Monday, March 7, 2011

time out...

i've been having a hard time falling asleep lately. as i laid in bed friday night waiting to fall asleep, i couldn't stop my mind from wandering. i was wishing i could go away for a weekend, somewhere quiet. somewhere i had no phone reception, somewhere without tv, somewhere where screaming neighbors don't exist. i'll admit it, my life is pretty easy. i don't have kids that demand my attention, i don't have a 9-5 job, i have the greatest husband in the world... so are you asking 'what are you trying to "escape" from?' well, i don't know. all i know is that for some reason i felt overwhelmed. so friday night i decided i would 'take a break from the world' on saturday. when i woke up saturday morning, i texted my mom and sister and said "i'm taking a break from phone, tv and internet today. if you call and i don't answer, that's why. if you need me, i'll call you tonight". (i should probably explain why it was necessary to send that text.... i talk to my mom and sister every.single.day. usually more than once a day. if they would've called me saturday and i didn't answer, they would've thought something tragic had happened.... especially if they texted me after i didn't answer, and they didn't get a response.) so i sent the text at 8:30am, and turned my ringer off. by 10am i was lying on the couch... in the dead silence, wondering what the heck i should do for the rest of the day. i had already been awake for a couple of hours, and the phone hadn't rang, the tv hadn't been turned on, i hadn't checked my email... but i was kind of enjoying it. (i'm not going to bore you with an hour by hour detailed schedule of what i didn't do) fast forward to saturday night ----> it was now 6pm and i had survived a whole day with no tv, no calls, no internet. just me, the quiet, some music, and time with my husband. i was able to get a TON of cleaning done, which was awesome! i loved my 'quiet time' so much that i decided to do it again for a couple of hours on sunday morning as well. it's amazing all the stuff you can get done when you're not distracted by garbage tv shows, browsing the internet, reading emails, facebook, phone calls, texting, etc.
i definitely need to make this a weekly thing! imagine how clean my house could be!

No comments:

Post a Comment