do you have a crock pot? if not, you need to get one. if you have one, you need to make this tomorrow! it's a super easy, super yummy ratatouille! ready?
2 large onions, cut in half and sliced
1 large eggplant, sliced, cut in 2 inch pieces
4 small zucchini, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 large green bell peppers, de-seeded and cut into thin strips
2 large tomatos, cut in 1/2 inch wedges
1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 c. olive oil
red pepper flakes, to spice it up (optional)
1. layer half of the veggies in large crock pot in the following order: onion, eggplant, zucchini, garlic, green peppers, tomatoes.
2. sprinkle half of the basil, oregano, sugar, parsley & s/p on the veggies.
3. dot with half the tomato paste
4. repeat layering process with remaining veggies, spices and tomato paste.
5. drizzle with olive oil.
6. cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours
7. place in serving bowl and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese
8. refrigerate to store
9. may freeze up to 6 weeks.
*note: i don't add the salt when cooking. i usually salt each serving before i eat it. i don't like things too salty. also, last time i made it, i realized i didn't have enough dried basil & oregano, so i replaced it with dried italian herbs. it was fine. still delish.*
it's good over rice, or noodles, or with a chicken breast... or just plain! it's sooooo good. when i make a pot of it, we eat it for a few days until it's gone. you can also take some leftovers and blend them in a blender to make your own pasta sauce. how easy is that? layering a bunch of veggies in a pot and letting the crock pot do all the work? and how easy is it to reheat leftovers the next night?
simple and delicious! AND healthy!!!!!
i don't have a pic of the ratatouille, so i'll put a pic of THIS ratatouille. ;)